Thursday, September 09, 2004

Senorial Sangría


Now kids can look like winos! Posted by Hello

In Mexico sangría must be a common soft drink flavor like cola is here. I reviewed Barralitos sangría last week and today I'm reviewing Senorial sangría. I have no idea if there's any other sangría brands, but I'm sure there are. Perhaps Barralitos and Senorial and the Coke and Pepsi of Mexico and people get into big arguments about which is better. For what it's worth, Barralitos is my favorite, but Senorial is very good as well. (And I prefer Coke to Pepsi.)

Senorial sangría comes in a bottle that looks like it should have wine in it. The color is darker and browner than the Barralitos variety. If you took some Coke and thinned it out with a little water and then poured in a little grape juice, it would probably look like Senorial. (I have no idea what that concoction would taste like. Why don't one of you try it and tell me?) It's probably as heavily carbonated as Coke or Pepsi, which makes it a little less pleasant to me. Oddly, it tastes quite good flat, something I can't say about Coke, Pepsi, or Sprite. The taste is very grapey, but it's a real grape flavor rather than the strong, artificial, grape Bubble Yum flavor of grape Fanta. (Did I put the word "grape" enough times in that last sentence?)

So, even though I said I prefer Barralitos sangría to Senorial sangría, Senorial is quite good and I highly recommend trying it if you can find it. At my local grocery store an 11.16 oz. bottle costs 69 cents. A bargain if you want to try something different than the usual cola/lemonlime/etc. fare available in the U.S.