Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Hansen's B-well


Hansen's b-well doesn't improve your spelling. Posted by Hello

Ever since I had that one can of Red Bull a few months ago, I've wanted a low-cost alternative. Of course there aren't any. And all of the various beverages in those funny Red Bull-type cans are the same price: $1.99 each. A few days ago I was poking through the detritus at Big Lots and found cans of Hansen's b-well "sparking orange drink" for 59 cents a can. The cans looked like the ones used by Red Bull, so I bought one.

The text on the can is interesting:

Scientific evidence now supports the benefits of taking certain vitamins and nutrients. These 'Anti-oxidant' agents help protect you from the harmful effects of free radicals.

Hansen's b-well conatains Vitamins A, C, and E, Selenium and Activin Grape Seed Extract, some fo the most powerful Antioxidents currents known. The herb Echinacea is added for its ability to support the body's system.

Hansen's b-well is a refreshing, great tasting, lightly carbonated orange flavored beverage. Drink Hansen's b-well daily to help maintain your good health.

It's the real Deal!

Suggested use: up to three (3) Cans per day.

This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

Drink it every day? Up to three cans a day? They should rename this stuff something like Dr. Hansen's Vitality Elixir & Brain Food and sell it off the back of a truck at a state fair.

The taste? Kinda yucky, but nowhere near as bad as Clover Valley root beer or any diet soda I've had. It's sort of grapefruitish and not particularly sweet. There's also some other less palitable flavors in there that I can't quite place. Metal? Not terrible, but not exactly good either. And now that I think about it, Red Bull doesn't taste all that great either; I like it because it has a zing to it.

Since it was at Big Lots, I'm guessing it wasn't selling particularly well. The only way you could sell a beverage that tastes like this would be to tout its supposed health benefits. This isn't a fun, sexy, refreshing soft drink like the typical vending machine fair.

Verdict? I've had worse. It's drinkable and not too bad, but not particularly enjoyable. The main selling point in my opinion is the cheap price (if you can find it cheaply, that is).

Addendum: I think this product has been discontinued because I couldn't find it at the dreadful Hansen's website. Who knows how old the can I drank was.