Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Fanta Grape


It's so...purple Posted by Hello

I'd been trying to track down a run-of-the-mill grape soda to compare to Barralitos sangría and I wasn't having much luck. I went to a grocery store and they had the store brand in 2 liter bottles for some pitance, but that was way too much soda for someone who just wanted to sample the stuff. They also had a vending machine out in front with store brand varities in it, but, of course, it was out of order. The soft drink gods were trying to tell me something. After a few days of searching, I finally found a 20 oz. bottle, but I paid through the nose for it. I went to a discount department store where they sell all kinds of really cheap junk. And I do mean junk. They even have some cheap sodas I'll probably be reviewing in the future, but no cheap grape soda. Nope, the grape soda was up near the cash-registers in a refridgerated display. All Coca-Cola product. I ended up paying $1.24 for a 20 oz. bottle of grape Fanta. Never again.

Grape Fanta tastes like the grape soda I remembered from many, many years ago when I used to drink the stuff on occasion. It doesn't taste like Barralitos sangría much at all, in my opinion. The flavor mainly reminds me of grape-flavored Bubble Yum. It's heavily carbonated and a little harsh. The flavor's strong and it's very sweet. At first I found it slightly unpleasant, but I got used to it quickly. After drinking it a bit, I began to like it. Once the bottle was finished, I began to feel slightly ill. Maybe it was the grape soda or maybe it was the two Milky Way bars I ate while I drank it. Oh, yeah, I also ate a bunch of Planter's Cheez Balls. Maybe I should cut back on the junk food. Naah. It had to be the Fanta.

Would I drink grape soda of any kind again? Sure. It's not the best thing I've ever had, but it's OK. Anyway, it's better than orange soda, which I find unpleasantly harsh.