Friday, September 10, 2004

Jarritos Tamarind


Mmmm...brownish and cloudy. Posted by Hello

The Mexican soft drink Jarritos Tamarind is unlike any soft drink I've ever drank. How does one describe the flavor of tamarind? Dark? Weird? Acidic? Sickly sweet? Vaguely sour? Nasty? I don't know. The stuff's so different from tastes I'm used to that I can't decide if I like it or not.

My only other experience with tamarind was a piece of strange Mexican candy I had once. That was odd tasting stuff, but I gladly ate it. I decided to look up tamarind candy at Google, and, much to horror, quite a few of the results delt with toxic levels of lead in certain tamarind candies. Lovely. My own personal favorite article on tamarind is at Bad Candy.

Tamarind soda's not that bad, just unusual if you've never had it before. And, after I wrote the previous sentence, I took a swig from the bottle and made a face. But after drinking it a bit, I got used to the taste and it's sort of good. Kinda.

It's sort of a cloudy, dirty orange color, not that bright, artificial color of orange sodas. I don't know if I'll ever drink this stuff again. I wouldn't say it's bad, just different from my concept of good, but I'll take it any day over any diet soda.

Do I recommend it? If you want something different from any other cabonated beverage you've ever had, then I do recommend it. You probably won't like it, though.