Sunday, September 05, 2004

Mountain Dew Pitch Black


I done the Dew Posted by Hello

Today's review is of the new "limited edition" Mountain Dew Pitch Black. First off, I should say that having a limited edition softdrink is kind of stupid. Are we supposed to save bottles of it? This is really just a ploy to test market a new flavor. If it sells like crazy then they can pretend to bow to popular demand and make it permanent part of their line. And if it doesn't sell, they can just say, "It was a limited edition. We never planned on making it a permanent part of the line."

Actually, I'd planned on reviewing any run-of-the-mill grape soda I could find to compare it to Barralitos sangría. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any regular old grape soda. Of course, I only checked two stores, but still, you'd think it'd be easy to find. Anyway, since this stuff was supposed to be grape flavored, I thought it might be interesting. And it was.

The first thing I noticed about Mountain Dew Pitch Black was that it wasn't black. I was hoping for something freakishly black, sort of like thinned out India ink maybe. It's actually dark purple. Disapointing.

The second thing I noticed was that it didn't taste like grape to me. Another online review I read said the taste was, "Shockingly strong grape. Grapier than Grape Ape. I don't think I could down more than a swallow even on the grapiest day of my life." To me it tasted like some kind of tropical fruit candy. Not grape-like at all to my taste-buds. But was it good? It was OK and I had no trouble at all polishing off a 16 oz. bottle. It was far better than I thought it would be. I think it's better than Mountain Dew Code Red, but what isn't? Bleh. I don't know if I'd ever buy it again, but if someone offered me a glass, I wouldn't turn it down if that was all they had.