Saturday, October 30, 2004

Dr. Brown's Extra Dry Ginger Ale


Delicious Posted by Hello

I was in a local Winn-Dixie grocery store and I found several loose cans of Dr. Brown's Extra Dry Ginger Ale. There was also one or two cans of their orange soda, but I didn't really want any of that. When I first saw it I got all excited for a second or two because I thought it was their infamous Cel-Ray, the celery flavored soda. But I quickly saw it wasn't.

In the checkout line all I had was one can of Dr. Brown's and a bottle of Stewart's cream soda I'll review some other time. Naturally, neither was properly marked for individual sale because Winn-Dixie doesn't know how to price its items. So I had to wait and hold the whole line up like a jackass while they tried to figure out how to ring up my meager purchases. Fun.

Anyway, I had very low expectations from Dr. Brown's ginger ale. I'd read at BevNet that it wasn't sweet at all and was close to seltzer water. Wrong. It's sweet enough and quite tasty. I haven't drank ginger ale in a few years, but this is one of the better ones I've ever tasted. There's an interesting, subtle spicy ginger aftertaste I can't ever recall tasting in other ginger ales I've drank. I associate that spiciness with gingersnaps and candied ginger.

Final verdict? I like it. This is one I'd definitaly drink again if it were easy to come by and I have no trouble recommending it.