Monday, October 11, 2004

Hansen's Signature Ginger Beer


I think I'm dying. Posted by Hello

For years I've wanted to know the difference between ginger ale and ginger beer. I planned on getting a bottle of ginger beer one day, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Today I found a bottle of Hansen's Signature ginger beer at my local Kroger's.

I found it in the health food section. Who buys this stuff? If I were into health food wouldn't I drink water instead?

How can I describe the taste? The first word that comes to mind is gaaaarrrggggghhh-ack-ack-ack. The only way I can really describe the taste is to ask you to imagine chewing on some paper or cardboard. Imagine drinking a little water so that the paper/cardboard is nice and moist as you chew, but don't swallow. Then imagine putting a spoonful or two of sugar in your mouth while still chewing the wad of wet paper/cardboard. OK, now imagine savoring the juices. That's what it tastes like! It's pure swill. I'd take a sip and my body would involuntarily shudder. The stuff's vile, weird, vaguely nauseating, and nothing even remotely like ginger ale. It did have a sort of spicy, gingery aftertaste, but I had to wait for the waves shuddering to pass. Horrible stuff!

I've never poured out a soft drink I was reviewing, no matter how bad, but I did pour the last of this stuff down the drain. I tried to finish it, but I just couldn't do it.

Verdict? Avoid! Hansen's Signature ginger beer my new standard of awfulness. Congratulations!