Friday, October 29, 2004

Vernor's Ginger Soda


It's...different. Posted by Hello

I ran across Vernor's Ginger Soda unexpectedly at a local Krogar's. I'd read this stuff was popular in places like Minnesota, so I didn't expect to run across it in Virginia.

Vernor's is strange stuff. I was expecting something more like ginger ale, but it doesn't taste even remotely like ginger ale. The color's a dark amber and the smell is sort of vanilla-ish, but the taste is just odd. There's a very spicy aftertaste, sometimes it made me sneeze, but the flavor is candy-ish. Cotton candy? It's weird and I can't really put my finger on it. Is it a strong ginger taste? I'm not sure, but my guess is that it isn't.

I didn't like it at first. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't exactly enjoyable either. As I drank more of it, I began to get used to it, but I don't think I ever got around to actually liking it.

Verdict? It's worth trying if you're curious. I don't really like it. I certainly don't hate it, but I'm not sure if I'd ever drink it again.