Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Pepsi Holiday Spice


What were they thinking? Posted by Hello

Just in time for Thanksgiving, I'm finally reviewing Pepsi Holiday Spice. I think I'm a bit late because there's stuff all over the internet about it, but better late than never.

Let's cut the chase. What does it taste like? It's like Pepsi with a lot of pepper in it and there's also a rooty, fresh dirt taste which makes me believe that the "festive blend of holiday spices" is basically just ginger root extract or oil of ginger. It reminds me of the ghastly Goya ginger beer I reviewed below. It's no where near as strong, but it's hotter than other ginger beverages I've had recently.

But is it any good? When I first drank it, I didn't think it was that bad, but the more I drink, the worse it seemed. It's not horrible, but it's not the least bit enjoyable either. Frankly, I don't know what Pepsi was thinking with this stuff. Does anyone actually like it? Most of the reviews and comments about it online have been negative.

Verdict? Bleh. But I recommend trying it because it's cheap and strange. It'll be one of those memories you can enjoy years in the future: "Hey, remember Pepsi Spice?" And everyone goes, "Yeah, that was terrible." Ah, memories.

Pointless Addendum: There's a website called the Pepsi Holiday Spice Project where a guy claims that to win a bet he's drinking nothing buy Pepsi Spice for 45 days. There's even a blog where you can read about the nauseating medical problems he's been having since starting this stupid bet. I seem to be in a minority, but I think the whole thing's a hoax.