Monday, November 22, 2004

Jumex's Guanabana Nectar


What are those scary looking things pictured on the label? Posted by Hello

Today's beverage is Jumex's Guanabana Nectar. This was another find in the little Mexican products section of my local supermarket.

Just what the heck's guanabana? It looked freaky on the label: a green lump with little spikes on it, weird pulp, and a vaguely sinister looking core. According the site I linked to earlier in this paragraph, it's "a member of the Annonaceae, the custard apple family". Doesn't look like any apple I've ever seen. It doesn't really taste like apple either.

I was hoping for something strange tasting. Maybe something really vile. But I was pleasantly surprised. It's quite good.

Don't let the word "nectar" in the title fool you into thinking this stuff's just fruit juice. Nope. It's got sugar/corn syrup added to it, which probably makes it only slightly more healthy than Coke or Pepsi.

Verdict? It's good. I like it. I'll probably drink it again. And I'll be sampling other flavors in the Jumex line.